Yes, yes. I know. It's been an age since I've blogged. It's simply because I haven't made anything so I've had nothing to say.
So, since I am writing a new post that must means I have finally made something! Yea! It has nothing to do with quilts and fabric though.
A few weeks ago was my 11th wedding anniversary to the lovely and wonderful Brioni, aka Flossyblossy. It's been a truly amazing time and the best years of my life.
To be honest though, I had been getting a bit slack in the husbandy department and had been blowing off recent anniversaries. This year I decided to make an effort. First was a dinner out at an amazing Thai restaurant. I picked Thai since we spent out honeymoon and 1st and 3rd anniversary in Thailand. The problem was I had no idea what to buy her. The traditional gift for the 11th is steel. Steel? Seriously? All I found online were naff stainless steel photo frames and things. Totally NOT what I was looking for. I did see some nice flower vases and that gave me an idea... Steel Flowers!
The idea formed quickly in my head. The first thing I needed was old fashioned tap handles. I couldn't find any in the UK so had to source them from the States. After an age this is what I got:
I bought 12 of them. The top and bottom both looked very cool but I preferred the bottom shown in the left picture. Next I needed to source the leaves and stems.
I took the sheet down to my cellar workspace. It's quite a tip as you can see.
I bought 8mm steel rods from B&Q and cut them down to size with a hack saw. I didn't want them completely uniform so they were random lengths between 460mm and 490mm.
I also started cutting the copper with tin snips. These were also fairly random with some having three "leaves" and some four.
While this was going on I was painting the tap heads, washers, and screws.
The final coat was done outside in the sun to give the paint a bit of a bake.
By this time the project was about 6 weeks old. It took nearly three to source everything and three more to get to this point. I took advantage of Brioni being away at the Fat Quarterly sewing retreat to finally finish off the assembly.
I still hadn't decided which way up I wanted the tap handle so I tried one of each.
Much to my surprise the washer fit perfectly in the center of the tap when it was right way up. I hadn't intended to do them this way but looking at it I absolutely had to. Let the assembly begin!
After they were all assembled they went into this lovely wood vase I bought.
I'm happy to report the Brioni absolutely loved them!